GRAMMY Camp 2013, 2014, 2015
ALL APPLICANTS: State your name, grade, phone number, school, city and state at the beginning of the recording.
ALL INSTRUMENTS (except Drums)
- Prepared Selection: Charlie Parker’s “Billie’s Bounce” - medium tempo with standard or alternate chord changes. Accompaniment may be live (preferred) or recorded. We also encourage the use of an accompaniment program if live accompaniment is not available. 3-4 choruses of improvisation is optional. Bass players also walk for four choruses.
- Self Selections: Play two songs of contrasting styles, jazz classic, standard, or other styles. As an option may include at least three choruses of improvisation but it is NOT required. These selections are your choice and composers to consider are Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Chick Corea, Stevie Wonder, Kirk Whalum, Herbie Hancock, George Gershwin, Tito Puente, Wayne Shorter, etc.
- Lead Trumpet: Play the required Lead Trumpet excerpt below and, as an option, you MAY play a lead trumpet excerpt of your choice. Make this portion of your audition the FIRST musical selection on your video audition.
- Bass Trombone & Baritone Saxophone: Play an ensemble excerpt that demonstrates your low range.
BASS (upright and electric), GUITAR and PIANO
- Comping (Guitar): Demonstrate comping a. rhythm guitar b. standard (regular).
- Funk/R&B (All): Play 1 to 2 minutes of time in that style on a traditional Funk or R&B tune. Composers/artists to consider are Stevie Wonder, Tower of Power, Earth, Wind & Fire, Average White Band, Prince, Cameo, Parliament, etc. Bassists use electric bass. NOTE: Just play the "groove" NOT the melody.
- Play the following Billie’s Bounce blues choruses: 4 choruses of time, 2 choruses of trading 4s, 2 choruses of solo, repeat 2 choruses of time. Accompaniment may be live (strongly preferred) or recorded.
- Demonstrate time in: Latin and brushes (ballad and/or up tempo). Play on song forms 1-2 minutes each style. Optional: Include 1 chorus improvisation for each style.
- Play 1-2 minutes of a hip hop/funk/pop groove. If you choose to play on a song form, choose a song originally written in that style. Do NOT play a jazz tune with a funk beat/groove.
- If possible, include a 2-5 minute video segment playing time with a big band (not soloing).