- What are the dates for GRAMMY Camp?
- 2014 GRAMMY Camp St. Paul will take place June 8 – 16, 2014.
- 2014 GRAMMY Camp LA will take place July 13 – 22, 2014.
2014 GRAMMY Camp NY will take place August 3 – 11, 2014.
- Where does GRAMMY Camp Los Angeles take place?
- GRAMMY Camp is held at the University of Southern California (USC) Thornton School of Music in Los Angeles. Campers, Counselors and GRAMMY Camp Staff live in the USC dormitories and eat meals in the campus dining hall. Instruction is held in classrooms on campus and at venues throughout Los Angeles.
- Where does GRAMMY Camp St. Paul take place?
Where does GRAMMY Camp New York take place?
- GRAMMY Camp N.Y. will be hosted by Converse Rubber Tracks studio in Brooklyn, N.Y. Campers, Counselors, and GRAMMY Staff live and dine in nearby housing accommodations. Instruction is held in facilities at Converse Rubber Tracks.
- Can I apply for all sessions?
- Yes. GRAMMY Camp LA, NY and St. Paul provide unique music industry experiences and there is a discount available if you attend more than one session. Please note that the submission requirements materials can be used to apply for all sessions so you will not need to recreate them to apply for all camps.
Do I need to live in LA to attend GRAMMY Camp LA? Or in NY to attend GRAMMY Camp NY? Or in St. Paul to attend GRAMMY Camp St. Paul?
- No, all GRAMMY Camps are open to all U.S. high school students.
How old do I need to be to apply to GRAMMY Camp?
- To be eligible, you must currently be enrolled in grades 9–12 (public, private, parochial, home school, etc.). If you are between the ages of 21–25, please consider applying to be a GRAMMY Camp Counselor (see bottom of FAQs for more info).
What sorts of learning and performing experiences are included?
- Forum discussions, Workshops, Clinics, Panels, and Master Classes with Top Industry Professionals
- Individual and small group instruction
- Interactivity between various Career Tracks
- Field trips to professional venues (performance locations, studios, etc…)
- Media, performance and recording projects
- Music business best practices: How to make a living in the music business
What does a typical day at GRAMMY Camp look like?
Campers typically begin their day with instruction in their specified career track. In the afternoon, they continue instruction, but also have time to collaborate with campers on various creative projects, within and outside of their tracks. In the evenings there are camp-wide events that may include panel discussions with industry professionals, or various workshops on music business subjects. Campers are given free time at night to work in the studio, practice with their band, work on their individual projects, or just relax.
What is the Music Business track?
- This track combines the Concert Production and Marketing & Management career tracks. Students should have a passion for exploring the non-performance roles on an artist's team and the current music industry.
- May I apply if I have no music experience?
- While experience varies from camper to camper, we encourage anyone seriously interested in music as a career to apply.
How many students attend GRAMMY Camp?
- Approximately 75 students are selected for GRAMMY Camp LA and approximately 30 students are selected each for GRAMMY Camp NY and GRAMMY Camp St. Paul.
What is the program cost and what does it include?
GRAMMY Camp tuition is $2,200 which includes lodging, all meals, curriculum & instructional materials, ground transportation in the host city and field trips. All selected Campers must provide air or ground transportation to and from host city
Combined cost for attending two sessions is $3800 ($600 discount).
Financial Assistance is available - CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
What kind of Financial Assistance is available?
- Needs–based financial assistance is available and interested applicants must complete the Financial Assistance Form in addition to completing all other application materials. We encourage everyone who is interested in GRAMMY Camp to apply, regardless of your financial situation. Over the past few years, over 70% of those who have applied for financial aid have received some form or assistance, in the form of either a partial or full scholarship. CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
Is there an Application fee I should know about?
- Yes, there is a one–time $25 application fee for GRAMMY Camp. Please note – even if you are applying for more than one session, career track, or field, you only need to pay the $25 fee once. You may either pay by credit card when you submit your online application, or mail a check or money order in with your audition materials made payable to the GRAMMY Foundation. *Please note this application fee is non-refundable even if you decide not to complete the application.
Where do I go for the GRAMMY Camp online application?
- If you have already read the Process and Audition tabs in the Apply section on this website, please click here to apply.
After I complete the online application and submit my Video Essay, am I done?
- No, for each Career Track you apply for, there are specific requirements that you must also submit. See the Audition tab for more information. PLEASE NOTE – If you are applying for both sessions, you only need to create one set of materials (including the video essay and career track requirements).
When is the deadline to apply?
- The final deadline is March 31, 2013 and all materials should be received by the GRAMMY Foundation on or before that date. Should you need additional time, please email us to request an extension.
When will selectees be announced?
- We will contact selected campers in late April or early May.
During GRAMMY Camp, how are Campers supervised?
- Camp will have a full complement of GRAMMY Foundation staff and Counselors who will be on–site with Campers 24 hours per day. Additionally, private security will be on-site overnight at the dorms.
How do I apply to be a GRAMMY Camp Counselor?
- You must meet the following requirements to be considered for the counselor position:
GRAMMY Camp is held at McNally Smith College of Music in St. Paul, MN. Campers, counselors and GRAMMY Camp staff will live in dormitories and eat meals in the campus dining hall. Instruction will be held in classrooms on campus.
- College graduate or currently enrolled in college
- 21 to 25 years old
- Available for summer dates June 6-18 for GRAMMY Camp St. Paul, July 10-23 for GRAMMY Camp LA AND/OR August 1-13 for GRAMMY Camp NY
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Successfully pass a background check
- Be or become certified in first aid and adult CPR
- Submit all application materials by April 30, 2014, including this online application, Video Interview, and current resume (See “How do I apply to be a GRAMMY Camp Counselor” below).
In all cases, Counselors will arrive in advance of the Campers for orientation, training, and assisting with GRAMMY Camp preparation. Counselors will also stay after to checkout Campers and dismantle all Camp facilities with GRAMMY Camp staff.
There are two easy steps to apply for a GRAMMY Camp Counselor position?
STEP 1: Create a Video Interview
All counselor applicants are required to submit a video interview explaining your professional and/or musical qualifications and what you hope to contribute to and gain from participating in GRAMMY Camp. Below are some topics you may want to discuss in your video interview:
- Why you want to be a counselor at GRAMMY Camp.
- How your personality and experience will enhance GRAMMY Camp if accepted.
- What specific goals you have in the music industry
- Name some of your influences and why you find each influence inspirational.
- Why you are a strong candidate for GRAMMY Camp Counselor.
- What your long–term music career vision is.
- Additional guidelines and hints: to prepare your video interview
- Video interview should 3 minutes or less.
- Prepare concise, thoughtful responses to the topics above, but avoid reading directly from a pre–written script.
- Review the recorded video interview from beginning to end before submitting it with your application packet.
- You may apply to any of the sessions.
STEP 2: Complete the GRAMMY Camp Counselor Online Application and submit the link to your Video Interview as well as a current resume by April 30, 2014:
Click here to continue to the GRAMMY Camp Counselor Online Application.
What are the GRAMMY Camp dates for Counselors?
- Counselors must be available in the summer 2014 on the following dates:
- June 6-18 for GRAMMY Camp St. Paul
- July 10-23 for GRAMMY Camp LA
- August 1-13 for GRAMMY Camp NY
What is the role of the Counselor?
- The main role of a GRAMMY Camp Counselor is to support the staff of the GRAMMY Foundation. GRAMMY Camp Counselors and staff create a challenging, yet fun environment for Campers, with safety and student well–being our first priorities. Counselors provide support to all students, staff, faculty, and guest artists including musical, technical, and administrative support in all aspects of daily Camp life. This experience also affords Counselors the chance to continue their own career development, connect with music industry experts and gain practical experience in event production/administration.
Is there a Counselor Stipend?
- Counselors receive a stipend for service in addition to lodging accommodations and all meals. Coach airfare for Counselors located outside of the host city will also be provided.
Have more questions that aren’t answered here? Send us an email.