- Why did The Recording Academy and GRAMMY Foundation launch this award?
- To bring attention to the excellent and impactful work being done by thousands of music teachers across the U.S.
When is the deadline for application?
- April 15, 2013
What is the decision making process?
- Initial applications are electronically scored and ranked.
- Quarter-finalists will be identified and asked to submit supplemental materials (video and/or written essays, testimonials, etc.).
- Semi-finalists will be chosen after supplemental material submissions go through a series of Screening Committee reviews.
- A Blue Ribbon Committee will select up to ten finalists and recommend one of these to be recognized during GRAMMY Week activities.
- The Board of Trustees of The Recording Academy will approve the Blue Ribbon Committee selections.
What are the criteria for selection?
- Music Educator applicants will be evaluated based on the demonstrated evidence that they:
- Have made a measurable difference in the lives of students.
- Have made a significant and lasting contribution to the field of music education.
- Are exemplars of the best in the field.
- Have shown a commitment to the broader cause of maintaining music education in our schools.
- Have made a significant impact on their school and community.
When will Quarter-Finalists be notified?
- Quarter-finalists will be notified by email no later than May 1.
Who is eligible for the GRAMMY’s Music Educator Award?
- Current educators in the U.S., who teach music in public or private schools — Kindergarten through College. Teachers in after-school, private studios, or other educational settings are not eligible.
Who can nominate a teacher?
- Anyone can nominate a teacher for the Music Educator Award. Please select the appropriate button when on the application page.
Is there an Application Fee I should know about?
- No. It is free to apply and/or nominate a teacher for the Music Educator award.
Where do I go for the application?
- If you have already read the Overview Tab in the Apply section on this website, please click here to Apply.
Can I apply for this award every year?
- Yes, however there will be restrictions on past recipients.
What do the winners receive?
- A custom award and monetary grant ranging from $1,000 to $10,000
Will multiple nominations increase my teacher's chance of winning?